Campaigns and Communications Assistant
Voluntary 1-2 days a week – Birmingham based
Are you looking to gain new and highly transferable skills? Would you like to experience working in a grass roots organisation? Are you interested in environmental issues and care about Birmingham? Then Birmingham Friends of the Earth have an opportunity for you!
Birmingham Friends of the Earth are looking for open, enthusiastic and committed individuals to help us develop and deliver a variety of important local environmental campaigns.
This is an exciting and varied role that will give you the opportunity to work on multiple campaigns or focus on the one that interests you most. Whichever you decide, you will learn a range of campaigning techniques and work of a number of different projects, including campaign planning, community outreach, political lobbying, alliance building, marketing and promotion, press work and fundraising.
Your support will be invaluable in helping us achieve our campaign objectives, and as a result you will play a vital role in helping to make Birmingham a cleaner and greener city.
This is an ideal opportunity for those looking to develop their campaigning skills and gain experience of working in the environmental campaigning sector.
You will be based at our office at The Warehouse in Digbeth, so must be happy and able to travel there regularly. Ideally we are looking for volunteers who can commit to at least one day a week for at least three months.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Creating engaging content for the BFoE website and newsletter
- Writing and sending emails to BFoE supporters.
- Using multiple social media channels to communicate BFoE activities, campaigns and relevant news stories.
- Undertaking campaign research.
- Campaign administration including processing sign-ups and petition signatures.
- Staffing stalls and talking to members of the public about BFoE and our campaigns.
- Representing the organisation at other events and building support for BFoE campaigns while there.
- Helping to organise, promote and run BFoE campaign events.
- Attending BFoE campaign meetings to give feedback and keep up to date with campaign progress.
- Writing press releases
- Some basic graphic design work using Canva
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with a variety of different people.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas simply & succinctly, to a variety of different audiences.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to write engaging articles for both web and print.
- The ability to quickly assimilate and apply new knowledge.
- An open and flexible attitude, with the ability to adapt to new and changing situations quickly.
- Sympathy with Friends of the Earth’s position.
- An interest in environmental campaigning.
- An interest in making Birmingham a cleaner and greener place to live.
- We will cover your travel costs up to the price of one daysaver.
- We will give you a lunch voucher to use at The Warehouse Cafe or cover the cost of lunch up to £5.
- You will have the opportunity to work in a friendly, environmentally conscious building with a wide variety of occupants.
Please note, this job description is subject to change and will vary depending on our campaign priorities. We will ensure that any changes are discussed with you first.