There are plenty of cheaper and more environmentally friendly alternatives to pesticides. Many local councils in the UK and many cities around the world have gone pesticide free and Birmingham could be next.
Birmingham Friends of the Earth is campaigning for pesticide free soil in our parks and green spaces, to nourish, protect and sustain our wildlife. To reach this goal, Birmingham Friends if Earth is calling on Birmingham City Council to produce and implement a no-pesticide strategy by 2025, which includes:
- A complete ban on the use of all pesticides including: herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
- Stop spraying weeds.
- Go organic with all seeds and bulbs.
- Use only peat-free compost.
- Use organic growing practices when caring for all council owned spaces.
- Ensure that council owned spaces take into account all biodiversity.
- The strategy should engage at ward level during implementation and ensure it