60% of local authorities in the UK have a food waste collection system, including our neighbours Wolverhampton and Sandwell! Having a food waste collection will mean that everyone will be able to separate their inedible food waste, regardless of whether they have a compost bin or not.
Benefits of food collection include:
– Preventing food being burned in the incinerator (decreasing pollution/improving air quality)
– Stopping other recyclable materials being contaminated (making them easier to recycle)
– Using an anaerobic digester to turn inedible food waste into biogas (which can be put into the national grid/used locally to power buses or vans in the city) and fertiliser
– Using local companies to process the waste can create more jobs
– Reducing the city’s carbon footprint