Voluntary 1-2 days a week. Birmingham based
Are you looking to gain new skills and experience? Are you an enthusiastic individual who is passionate about climate change issues ? Then Birmingham Friends of the Earth has the opportunity for you!
We are looking for a keen, outgoing, individual to help us co-ordinate our climate campaigning in the run-up to and after the Paris climate talks.
By volunteering with us you would be providing invaluable support to our climate campaigning. You would work with BFoE campaigners and other groups to organise and further climate activities and campaigns in Birmingham, in particular around the Paris climate talks and Divestment campaigns.
As a lot of the work would be based in our office, ideally you would be able to travel regularly to our office in Digbeth. Ideally we are looking for volunteers who can commit to at least one day a week’s volunteering for at least three months.
Types of tasks that this may involve:
- Regularly meeting and speaking with other groups to co-ordinate campaign progress.
- Attending BFoE campaign meetings to give feedback and update the group on campaign progress.
- Organising campaign activities in conjunction with BFoE campaigners and other groups.
- Updating the climate pages on the BFoE website, include writing your own articles and uploading other relevant content.
- Using social media to communicate about climate, campaigns, activities, events and relevant news stories.
- Undertaking relevant campaign research.
- Representing and speaking on behalf of BFoE at other events.
- Speaking to members of the public on stalls.
- Other tasks and projects as the opportunity arises.
The skills and experience we are looking for are:
- Familiarity with standard office software.
- Excellent personal and team-working skills
- The ability to engage and build relatioships with a variety of different people including people from other groups and campaigns.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Good written communication skills with the ability to write succinctly and engagingly.
- Research experience.
- The ability to assimilate new knowledge quickly and apply it.
- Knowledge of and interest in environmental issues, and sympathy with Friends of the Earth’s position.
- Experience of campaigning or community organising at university or elsewhere.
- Experience of writing for websites or print media.
- Familiarity with social media and the ability to apply this to a campaigning context.
- Knowledge of climate campaigning and issue in particular the UN Climate talks and fossil fuel divestment campaigning
This is an ideal opportunity if you are looking to develop your campaigning skills and gain experience of working in the charity sector.
If you are interested then please send us a letter of application along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions please email us at the same address or phone us on 0121 632 6909.